Here are the most frequently asked questions about Lighthouse. Click or tap on the category you'd like to learn more about.
If you need assistance with set up, please visit our set up your first Lighthouse help article, which will walk you through getting set up. If you're running into problems or issues, please take a look at the different troubleshooting articles in our help center, and of course, you can always contact us at any time if you need assistance.
How many Lighthouse devices do I need?
- The number of units you need depends on the size of your home and what you want to use Lighthouse for. For example, if you're most interested in security, one device to view each entrance may work fine; if you want more detail about what your pets and family are up to, a device for each common room will get you there
- Adding devices is easy and you giving them different names means you can search or set up Pings by camera, giving you the granularity you need.
- Each device can use up to 1mbps of upload bandwidth (when activity levels are high), so most home internet plans should easily be able to use multiple devices.
For more information about adding more devices, please take a look at our Set up additional devices help article.
What distance is it effective to?
- Lighthouse's depth sensor and facial recognition are accurate up to 30 feet, although obstructed views or other forms of interference can shorten that range. For best results, Lighthouse should be placed 3-10 feet off the ground with a clear view.
Does it have night vision?
- Yes. Lighthouse features high-quality, automatic night vision.
Does it integrate with other 'smart' services and devices?
- Not yet. Integrations are something we're very interested in, but at launch we won't feature any. As we continue to grow Lighthouse we'll look to customers and people like you; contact our support team and let them know what you'd like to see!
Can I use it outdoors?
- Lighthouse is designed and tested for indoor use only and is not weatherproof, so we recommend indoor use only. Use through a window will cause results to vary, so we do not recommend it.
How easy is setup?
- Once you’ve downloaded the app and plugged in the Lighthouse device, the app will prompt you to connect the device to your home wi-fi, then name the camera. That’s all you need to get up and running.
Can it be used as a baby monitor?
- Lighthouse can be used safely around children, but it's not designed to be used as a baby monitor. For example, Lighthouse detects and records 3D movement. The live view can be used to keep an eye on your baby's room, but the baby may not be recorded when asleep and not moving.
How is my video stored?
- Your video is stored securely (see below) in the cloud so you can access it whenever you need. This means that unlike an internal memory card, if your camera is stolen you'll be able to access the video to find the culprit!
How do you keep my data and videos secure?
- Security and privacy are very important to us! All connections are encrypted with bank-level AES-256, 2048-bit keys and secure HTTP access (HTTPS) using TLS/SSL. Users log in using industry leading SRP-6a/PBKDF2 protocol. We encrypt your data at rest, and no employee has access to your footage unless you explicitly provide permission via the app. We do not, and never will, share your data with a third party unless it’s a) required for the functioning of the app or b) legally required via subpoena.
Can I turn the camera off while I'm home?
- Yes, the Lighthouse app includes an option to turn the camera and/or audio off manually in case you want some extra privacy now and then.
Take a look at our Privacy settings help article for detailed steps to turn your camera on and off.
Does the subscription start right away?
- Yes, the subscription is active from the time you first activate the device. If you decide it's not for you, take advantage of our 30-day return policy for a full refund by contacting our support team.
Do I need a subscription?
- Lighthouse is designed for use with an active subscription, which provides its intelligent features and ability to view recorded video.
- The device will still stream live video without a subscription, but other features will be limited.
Is my subscription refunded if I return the device?
- Yes, if you wish to return the device within our 30-day return policy we'll issue a refund of the service as well.
What is Lighthouse's return policy?
- Lighthouse offers a 30-day return policy from the date your order is delivered. Please note, any original shipping and handling charges are not refundable, and the device must be received in its original condition to be eligible for a full refund.
When will my pre-order ship?
- We'll ship purchases in the order they were placed and you'll receive an email with a tracking number when it's on the way. If you need to change your order or cancel it for a full refund, just contact support from the email address you used to place the order.
Is Lighthouse available outside of the United States and Canada?
- Lighthouse is currently sold in the United States and Canada only.
- Some features will likely see diminished functionality in other countries, as they haven't been tested outside North America.
- Please also note, video search and Pings respond to English only.
What if I need to change or cancel my order?
- We're here to help! Just contact support from the email address you placed the order with and let us know what you need.
What is Lighthouse's warranty policy?
- Lighthouse purchases come with a 1-year limited warranty, which begins when you receive the device.
When am I charged for my pre-order?
- You'll won't be charged until your pre-order ships! You'll need to enter credit card information at checkout, but we won't charge it until the order is shipped.