Here are the most frequently asked questions about Lighthouse. Click or tap on the category you'd like to learn more about.
If you need assistance with set up, please visit our set up your first Lighthouse help article, which will walk you through getting set up. If you're running into problems or issues, please take a look at the different troubleshooting articles in our help center, and of course, you can always contact us at any time if you need assistance.
How many Lighthouse devices do I need?
- The number of units you need depends on the size of your home and what you want to use Lighthouse for. For example, if you're most interested in security, one device to view each entrance may work fine; if you want more detail about what your pets and family are up to, a device for each common room will get you there
- Adding devices is easy and you giving them different names means you can search or set up Pings by camera, giving you the granularity you need.
- Each device can use up to 1mbps of upload bandwidth (when activity levels are high), so most home internet plans should easily be able to use multiple devices.
For more information about adding more devices, please take a look at our Set up additional devices help article.
What distance is it effective to?
- Lighthouse's 3D sensor (which enables human and pet detection) is accurate up to 30 feet, although obstructed views or other forms of interference can shorten that range.
- Facial recognition has a somewhat shorter range of 12-15 feet.
Does it have night vision?
- Yes. Lighthouse features high-quality, automatic night vision.
Does it integrate with other 'smart' services and devices?
- Not yet. Integrations are something we're very interested in, but at launch we won't feature any. As we continue to grow Lighthouse we'll look to customers and people like you; contact our support team and let them know what you'd like to see!
Can I use it outdoors?
- Lighthouse is designed and tested for indoor use only and is not weatherproof, so we recommend indoor use only. Use through a window will cause results to vary, so we do not recommend it.
Can it be used as a baby monitor?
- Lighthouse can be used safely around children, but it's not designed to be used as a baby monitor. For example, Lighthouse detects and records 3D movement. The live view can be used to keep an eye on your baby's room, but the baby may not be recorded when asleep and not moving.
Is your software GPL?
- The Lighthouse camera, Android app, and/or iOS app contain software licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a free electronic copy of the source code of this GPL-licensed software and Lighthouse modifications to it.
How is my video stored?
- Your video is stored securely (see below) in the cloud so you can access it whenever you need. This means that unlike an internal memory card, if your camera is stolen you'll be able to access the video to find the culprit!
How do you keep my data and videos secure?
- Security and privacy are very important to us! All connections are encrypted with bank-level AES-256, 2048-bit keys and secure HTTP access (HTTPS) using TLS/SSL. Users log in using industry leading SRP-6a/PBKDF2 protocol. We encrypt your data at rest, and no employee has access to your footage unless you explicitly provide permission via the app. We do not, and never will, share your data with a third party unless it’s a) required for the functioning of the app or b) legally required via subpoena.
Can I turn the camera off while I'm home?
- Yes, the Lighthouse app includes an option to turn the camera off manually in case you want some extra privacy now and then.
Take a look at our Privacy settings help article for detailed steps to turn your camera on and off.
Do I need a subscription?
- An AI Service plan is required for access to 30-day video history, advanced 3D computer vision, recorded video, intelligent search, pet recognition and all the features that set Lighthouse apart.
- All Lighthouse purchases on our site come with either a free trial, or fully pre-paid service (depending on what you choose at purchase).
How do AI Service plans work?
- AI Service is required on a per-device basis, so you'll need one for each device.
- If you don't purchase our one-time fee plan, you'll get a free trial when you activate, then you'll be prompted to sign up for the service plan as the trial ends.
Can I watch video without service?
- You’ll be able to stream live video without a subscription, but won’t have access to recorded video, intelligence services or advanced computer vision.
Is my service plan refunded if I return the device?
- Yes, if you wish to return the device within our 30-day return policy we'll issue a refund of the service as well.
What is Lighthouse's return policy?
- Lighthouse offers a 30-day return policy from the date your order is delivered. Please note, any original shipping and handling charges are not refundable, and the device must be received in its original condition to be eligible for a full refund.
When will my order ship?
- We'll ship purchases in the order they were placed and you'll receive an email with a tracking number when it's on the way. Orders placed on Friday afternoon or over the weekend will be shipped the next business day.
Is Lighthouse available outside of the United States and Canada?
- Lighthouse is currently sold in the United States and Canada only.
- Some features will likely see diminished functionality in other countries, as they haven't been tested outside North America.
- Please also note, video search and Pings respond to English only.
What if I need to change or cancel my order?
- We're here to help! Just contact support from the email address you placed the order with and let us know what you need.
What is Lighthouse's warranty policy?
- Lighthouse purchases come with a 1-year limited warranty, which begins when you receive the device.