Here are the most frequently asked questions about Lighthouse. Click or tap on the category you'd like to learn more about.
If you need assistance with set up, please visit our set up your first Lighthouse help article, which will walk you through getting set up. If you're running into problems or issues, please take a look at the different troubleshooting articles in our help center, and of course, you can always contact us at any time if you need assistance.
Can I use it outdoors? Do you have an outdoor model?
- Lighthouse is designed and tested for indoor use only and is not weatherproof, so we recommend indoor use only. Use through a window will cause results to vary, so we do not recommend it.
- We don't have a timeline for an outdoor model, but we'll be sure to announce any new cameras we develop.
Do you offer professional installation?
- Lighthouse is easy to set up, but if you'd like a professional to set it up and help you get to know the app, we've partnered with Puls to offer professional installation in certain markets. Click here to find out more (including if your area's covered).
Does it integrate with other services or devices? What about an API?
- Not yet. Integrations are something we're very interested in, but at launch we won't feature any. As we continue to grow Lighthouse we'll look to customers and people like you; contact our support team and let them know what you'd like to see!
How many Lighthouse devices do I need?
- The number of units you need depends on the size of your home and what you want to use Lighthouse for. For example, if you're most interested in security, one device to view each entrance may work fine; if you want more detail about what your pets and family are up to, a device for each common room will get you there
- Adding devices is easy and you giving them different names means you can search or set up Pings by camera, giving you the granularity you need.
- Each device can use up to 1mbps of upload bandwidth (when activity levels are high), so most home internet plans should easily be able to use multiple devices.
For more information about adding more devices, please take a look at our Set up additional devices help article.
What distance is it effective to?
- Lighthouse's 3D sensor (which enables human and pet detection) is accurate up to 30 feet, although obstructed views or other forms of interference can shorten that range.
- Facial recognition has a somewhat shorter range of 12-15 feet.
Do videos have sound?
- Our recorded video features audio recording, which you can turn off and on in the app.
- You can use the 2-Way Talk button to hear what's going on at home in the live view.
Can it be used as a baby monitor?
- Lighthouse can be used safely around children, but it's not designed to be used as a baby monitor. For example, Lighthouse detects and records 3D movement. The live view can be used to keep an eye on your baby's room, but the baby may not be recorded when asleep and not moving.
Is your software GPL?
- The Lighthouse camera, Android app, and/or iOS app contain software licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a free electronic copy of the source code of this GPL-licensed software and Lighthouse modifications to it.
How is my video stored?
- Your video is stored securely (see below) in the cloud so you can access it whenever you need. This means that unlike an internal memory card, if your camera is stolen you'll be able to access the video to find the culprit!
Can anyone at Lighthouse see my video?
- Your video is your own; we'll only look at video if you ask us to, or if we're asked to by law enforcement.
How do you keep my data and videos secure?
- Security and privacy are very important to us! All connections are encrypted with bank-level AES-256, 2048-bit keys and secure HTTP access (HTTPS) using TLS/SSL. Users log in using industry leading SRP-6a/PBKDF2 protocol. We encrypt your data at rest, and no employee has access to your footage unless you explicitly provide permission via the app. We do not, and never will, share your data with a third party unless it’s a) required for the functioning of the app or b) legally required via subpoena.
Can I turn the camera off while I'm home?
- Yes, the Lighthouse app includes an option to turn the camera off manually in case you want some extra privacy now and then. Video and audio are not recorded while the camera is off.
Take a look at our Privacy settings help article for detailed steps to turn your camera on and off.
Do I need a service plan?
- An AI Service plan is required for access to 30-day video history, advanced 3D computer vision, recorded video, intelligent search, pet recognition and all the features that set Lighthouse apart.
What if I don't pay for service after the trial?
- Without our AI service you won't get the AI features (person recognition, custom Pings, 30-day video history, and more), but you'll still be able to access your live view, search 24 hours of video history, use the siren and two-way audio, and invite other users to do the same. For a full comparison of service/no-service features, check here.
If I start with the free trial, can I pay the one-time service fee after the trial?
- Yes, once the trial ends you'll have the option to move to a monthly billing plan or the one-time fee so you'll never have to pay for service for that camera again.
Do I need a service plan for each camera?
- Yes, AI Service is required on a per-device basis, so you'll need one for each camera you'd like to get our AI features from.
Is Lighthouse available outside of the United States and Canada?
- Lighthouse is currently sold in the United States and Canada only, and our app is available in English only. Additionally, the camera's power source is a standard US 120V adapter, which may not fit outlets in other countries. We do not recommend use in other countries at this time.
What's the price?
- Our camera retails for $299 and can be purchased with a free trial or prepaid AI Service plan. For packages and pricing, please see our product page.
What is Lighthouse's return policy?
- Lighthouse offers a 30-day return policy with free shipping both ways from the date your order is delivered. Please note, the device must be received in its original condition to be eligible for a full refund.
When will my order ship?
- We'll ship purchases in the order they were placed and you'll receive an email with a tracking number when it's on the way. Orders placed on Friday afternoon or over the weekend will be shipped the next business day.
What if I need to change or cancel my order?
- We're here to help! Just contact support from the email address you placed the order with and let us know what you need.
What is Lighthouse's warranty policy?
- Lighthouse purchases come with a 1-year limited warranty, which begins when you receive the device.